2.26.2008

Desserts and Dancing for Melanoma

Saturday night Cooking with Caitlin participated in a fundraiser for Melanoma awareness and research. As we prepared for the night, I reflected on the disease and its role in my life. Since no one very close to me has been afflicted with Melanoma, I could only relate in the way that I proactively protect my family from it. Sunscreen when it’s sunny. Umbrellas on the beach. Hats at Reds games.

But I knew it’s a cancer and THAT word scares me. I absolutely have watched cancer end lives and ruin others. Suddenly I was not looking forward to the event at all. In fact, I was dreading delivering desserts to a cancer party. There’s just nothing sweet about it.

And then we got there… I was befuddled to find dresses and drinks and dancing. A good time? Yes! A good time indeed.

I learned right away the night was a celebration of the lives lost to Melanoma. Every bet made, smile exchanged, drink downed raised money to fight the disease and, in that way honored each life affected by it. A wonderful time was had by all. (Check out the pictures below.) We were honored to have been there.

No comments: